Thursday, March 15, 2012

DIY THURSDAY: DIP DYE CUTOFFS

When I get an idea in my head there's no changing my mind. I'm not exactly the most creative person in the world but I do like experimenting when it comes to cutting up shirts, shorts and making things look different. This time around I got inspired to make a pair of dip dyed cut-off jean shorts for Ultra Music Festival which I'm attending next week. These are easy to make and a cute alternative to your regular jean shorts. Follow these steps and put your own twist on it to create something similar:

What You Will Need:
1. Old pair of jeans or thrifted jeans. (I found a high-waisted pair from Express at Goodwill)
2. Bleach
3. Gloves
4. Scissors
5. Razor Blade or cutting tool
6. Plastic bin or container.
7. Fabric dye found at Michaels or any fabric store. (I chose Royal Blue)

Steps:
1. Cut your jeans to your desired length and shape. I suggest drawing a line starting at the inner thigh and slightly curving outwards towards the edge. Note: You will have to try them on several times as you go along to get it right.
2. Once you have your shorts, distress them anyway you like. I chose a razor blade and made horizontal lines across the front pockets.
3. Fill a plastic bin with equal parts water and clorox and submerge shorts entirely. Leave overnight.
4. Wash your shorts separately in case bleach bleeds and then air dry.
5. Once your shorts are dry, prepare dye according to directions on packet. Mine included boiling water, salt and dye packet.
6. Dip shorts according to your liking. I dipped mine so that the bottom half would have color. Note: The more dye and the longer you leave it in depends on the shade you want.
7. When you get desired color, wash separately again to get finished product.






TA-DA! Not too shabby for my first time :)

XOXO - Andrea

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to do this forever! Thanks for the instructions girl (: ily :*

    P.s. love your blog you little fashionista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The short looks amazing! Totally the look for this summer!
    I really love your blog dear, keep posting!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! pretty darn good, especially for your first attempt!
    x

    ReplyDelete